This department has been set up since AD 1946 . There were 2 classes of enrolled bachelor students and special training in Chinese courses respectively. Increment from 2 classes in 1959, to 3 classes in 1961, and to 4 classes in 1971. However there would be 3 classes only.
Moreover, the Graduate Institute of Chinese has been since 1956. The program of Master Degree was provided first and the program of Ph.D began in the following year. There are two kinds of the program of Chinese teaching provided, including the weekly evening and summer courses. Till now the enrolled current students, including undergraduates and graduates are about 701.
The faculty of this department includes 39 full-time professors. Our full-time and part-time professors are all specialists in their field and scholars highly recognized in the academic circle. Their field of study cover classics, history, philosophy, Chinese Literature, Linguistics, Taiwanese Literature, Teaching in Chinese, and Mandarin teaching.